Flatwater Paddling consists of 2 disciplines:
- Marathon racing - flatwater paddling over distances that range from a few kilometers to hundreds. Age limits commence at 10 years without upper age restrictions. Most races have a range of classes competing over a variety of distances in numerous boat styles and competitors per boat. The Victoria Marathon Season is usually run over the Winter Months
- Sprint Racing - shorter racing on flatwater over distances of 200 metres, 500 metres, 1000 metres to 5 kilometres. Sprint season is usually during the warmer months
Essendon Canoe Club has several paddlers competing in Marathon and Sprint Events. These include such races as:
- Victorian Canoe Marathon Winter Series
- YMCA Murray Marathon (Previously known as the Red Cross Murray Marathon)
- Victorian Canoeing Sprint Races
Essendon Canoe Club has a variety of boats from TK1, TK2, K1, K2, & K4 that members may use to train and use at Marathon Events (with the exception of the Murray Marathon)
Essendon Canoe Club - Marathon Training Group
Following on from the success of the Essendon Canoe Club Murray Marathon Team, it has been decided that we will start a formal marathon training group for members of the Essendon Canoe Club. The sessions will be run by a Level 1 Flatwater Kayak coach on Sunday afternoons at 4pm and Tuesday evenings at 5.15pm. Any member can join this group provided they meet some basic criteria. To join the group, you must be able to paddle a minimum of 5kms in a TK1. You do not have compete in races to join this group, you are welcome to join in and enjoy the training in a group environment. The program will run every week during school terms but will not run during the short school holidays. There will be a coaching fee of $100 per year which will be used to assist the club with the purchase of equipment and maintenance / repairs to club equipment. Members can attend up to 3 sessions after which time they will be required to pay the coaching fee. The first session is this Sunday, the 10th February at 4pm. Numbers are limited unless you have your own kayak and paddle.
Bookings are essential for the allocation of craft. If you would like to join in or would like more information, please respond to this email address.
2013 ECC Murray Marathon Team
After the success of our team at last years Murray River Marathon the time has come to put out the feelers for new paddlers this year.
It doesnt matter if your a novice because you have 8 months to prepare. What a great incentive to get out there and improve your paddling, work on your fitness and have a great time with like minded people with the same goal.
Last years group all came into the team with different reasons for joining. Some had it on their bucket list while others wanted the challenge of completing the event.
At the event we all had a great time away and everyone achieved their goal.
So, if your interested in having a go this year, come along to an information meeting on Monday 6th May at 6pm at the club. No experience necessary. If youre not sure if its for you, why not come along and chat to some of those who did it last year, ask questions and have a chat.
If your interested but cant make it next Monday, send me an email and we will arrange a time to catch up and have a chat about it.